Thursday, November 3, 2011

Relationship Challenge

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.” Mark 12:30-31

Over the past couple of months, the Lord has been teaching me a lot about relationships with other people and with himself. It's insane how much closer you can get to God just by loving other people. Sometimes, we get too caught up in paying attention to ourselves and all of our own needs. We start to numb out by doing things like; watching TV, playing on the computer, reading fantasy books, and even over sleeping. 
I feel that we're all meant to meet with each other, to love one another. Actually, I know that we're supposed to do this. It's says it right above! But what does it mean to love your neighbor as yourself? Do you love yourself? Maybe you don't think that you do, but really think about it for a second. Go ahead, think about it. My words will still be here after you think...

Did you think about it? Okay, good. Well, here is my thought; yes, I love myself. Maybe I have a low self esteem, and I wish I was a better person. But who do I pay attention to most of the time? Me. Who's needs to I fill the most? Mine. Who do I usually always think about? (Besides my boyfriend...) Myself. I am so selfish. It's really a nasty habit. 
So, like I said, I'm learning a lot about relationships. People need God. God meets our needs through other people. We need people. We need relationships. I've been very challenged to stop thinking about myself so much. (Which is really hard because I won't leave myself alone.) 

So, my challenge to you and myself, meet someone else's need today. Someone that you don't usually do anything for. Maybe actually take time to talk to that person in the grocery store. You'll be surprised to know that you can make someone else's day fairly easily. Ask someone how they're really doing. Then listen. It will give you a different sense of love

5 Comments:

Unknown said...

Gunna take on the challenge to not be so selfish today... thanks sis.

Dawnee said...

You are a very wise young woman Rach! I'm so glad you are doing this! It gives me such a good insight into who you are. :) I'm pretty darned proud to be your mom!

Becki said...

Rachel, you are so amazing! This is a wonderful post - and it truly made me think. I'm going to take your challenge!

Anonymous said...

Gonna try to! Absolutely love your blog today! Love you, and I think you are one of the most selfless people I know. Aunt Collie (maybe this is how I can get around not being able to post comments to your blog.

Anonymous said...

Woo preach it sista, I love it! And I accept your challenge. I like the 'think about it' part of this blog. Every time I read something that says 'ask yourself this, or asks a question I almost NEVER actually stop reading. But I actually did this time. I am not sure if I had ever asked myself if I love myself.. I realized it is much harder to love me than it is to love you.
-your secret admirer

Post a Comment

I'd love it if you would leave me a comment!